Stir-fried Udon Noodles
with chicken and broccoli
Smarts: Make sure to season and tenderize your chicken with some salt and pepper. It makes a huge difference in the taste of the meat.
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts - 1 1/4 lbs, sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Broccoli - 1 1/2 lbs, chopped
- Udon noodles - 1/2 lb ((Look for these in the ethnic aisle))
- Eggs - 2
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Make marinade - Mix together first part of soy sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar.
- Chicken - Slice chicken, cover with marinade, and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Green onions / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Udon - Cook udon noodles according to packaged instructions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Whisk eggs.
- Place broccoli in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes 30 seconds. This just helps the broccoli cook way faster later.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in first part of oil and then chicken to heated oil. Toss and cook until golden on the outside and cooked in the inside (just slice a piece open to tell). Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to medium heat. Add in second part of oil and then garlic, white parts of green onions, and whisked eggs to heated oil. Lightly scramble.
- While the eggs are still runny, toss in broccoli, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until broccoli is cooked through, tender but with a crunch still.
- Add noodles, chicken (and all the juices), second part of soy sauce, and rice vinegar to wok. Toss until everything is coated. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more soy sauce or even hot sauce (like Sriracha). Serve with green parts of green onions.
Yummy! Good basic -- makes a ton! Best to find the right noodles (Udon).0 Helpful
Could have used a little more flavor, but besides that it was really good0 Helpful
Very bland. It really needed the hot sauce. I added an extra egg and more lemon juice. This is the fourth meal I have made and each included sugar or maple syrup. That is not necessary and unhealthy.0 Helpful
For the marinade, instead of regular soy sauce I used liquid aminos, and I cut the fish sauce altogether but added a bit of Worcestershire sauce in its place. If I made it again I'd use 2 eggs. But overall it was quite good!!0 Helpful
Loved the colors. Would have liked a tiny bit more sauce.0 Helpful
This was the bomb.com0 Helpful