Southwestern Quinoa Bowl
with adobo-honey sauce
We get to reuse last night's adobo-honey sauce drizzled over tonight's tasty quinoa bowl, which means dinner comes together in a flash (and is full of flavor!).
Smarts: Quinoa (and most grains) freezes well so always keep some handy in the freezer. So long as you have some veggies and a can of beans on hand, you've got dinner in the making.
- Quinoa - 2/3 cup, uncooked
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Red pepper - 1, chopped
- Green pepper - 1, chopped
- Mushrooms - 1/2 lb, quartered
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, rinsed and drained ((~2 cups))
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Leftover Adobo-honey sauce (from Tue) - 6 Tbsp
- Quinoa - If not made from last night, combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Bell peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead).
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute for ~1 minute and then add peppers and mushrooms. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Add black beans to warm through.
- While mixture is still hot, toss with spinach. Add in quinoa, green parts of green onions, and adobo-honey sauce. Toss until everything is mixed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Everyone loved it. I used apple cider in the sauce rather than red wine vinegar. Tasted great. Salad flavor so were complimentary to the meal. Great dinner0 Helpful
I enjoyed the meatballs and wraps. I don't like celery so we just had apples. I have not yet developed a tast for quinoa... It seemed a little bland0 Helpful
These were really yummy! I left out the celery though because I really don't like celery in salads.0 Helpful
The meatballs were the best thing about this dish - I'll be making those again. The sauce and the salad however were okay, but it felt a bit like a chore eating them.0 Helpful
Big portions. The meatballs were the highlight. Both dressing and sauce were too sweet. The salad was nothing special.0 Helpful
Uesed gluten free panko crumbs. Really digged the sauce0 Helpful