Portobello Pesto Pizzas
with red pepper and cucumber salad
Smarts: Make more of these for freezing. After cooking, let them cool and then place onto a sheet pan and freeze for ~3 hours. Then package them up individually in bags or foil.
- Portobello mushrooms - 4
- Tomatoes - 2 , sliced
- Olive oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Leftover pesto - 1/3 cup
- Mozzarella - 4 oz, grated ((Or just used a slice of sandwich cheese - mozzarella, fontina, Swiss))
- Red peppers - 1 , chopped ((1 large or 2 small))
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Sherry or red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 6 oz
- Sliced almonds - 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Brush portobello mushrooms with olive oil (both sides). Place portobellos cap side down (or stem-side up, even though the stems are gone) on a sheet pan. Spoon pesto into mushrooms. Top with sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle on cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- While pizzas are baking, chop peppers and cucumbers. Make vinaigrette if not already done from last night. Whisk together honey, Dijon, vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When portobello pizzas are done, toss vinaigrette with peppers, cucumbers, mixed greens, and sliced almonds. Enjoy!
4-yr-old loved this! I stir fried leftovers with vermicelli noodles. Light on oil and add salt/pepper to pesto. Didn't try the salad.0 Helpful
I replaced the portabello mushroom with flat bread and also added meatballs to the meatball toppings. I had run out of cucumbers, so the salad was a pepper & carrots mix (because I had also missed the direction to add mixed greens). Very filling!0 Helpful
The mushrooms were a little soggy, perhaps grilling them first and then adding toppings would work better than baking. The salad and dressing was fantastic, the crunchy almonds were a great addition!0 Helpful
Flavor was great, but didn't feel substantial enough to be a dinner - maybe a lunch or an app.0 Helpful
Portion too small and was very watery.0 Helpful
Pretty good, but maybe needed to add more salt or something savory to it. Maybe make the proper pesto next time (only had parsley and almonds instead of basil and pine nuts)0 Helpful