Sesame-Teriyaki Salmonwith sesame-soy cucumber salad and rice
You most likely already have all the ingredients needed to make a homemade teriyaki sauce. Sweet and salty at the same time, it gives so much flavor to our salmon
- Homemade Teriyaki sauce - ingredients listed separately
- Salmon - 1 to 1.5 lbs
- Lemon - 1/2, wedges
- Persian / English cucumbers - 1 lb, sliced
- Teriyaki Sauce - ingredients listed separately
- Toasted sesame oil - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds - 2 Tbsp
- White / brown rice - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Rice vinegar - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Corn starch - 1 tsp
- Rice – Make if not done on prep day. If you're also making tomorrow's meal, double the portions. Cook rice with a 2:1 water to rice ratio. Bring to a boil, then simmer until rice has absorbed all liquid (20 to 25 min. for white rice; 45 to 50 for brown)
- Make sauce – Mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, water, and garlic (leave out corn starch for now)
- Fish – Rinse and dry fish. Pour 1/3rd of sauce into a Pyrex baking dish. Place fish non-skin side down in sauce. Cover and marinate in fridge for up to 24 hours
- Preheat the broiler in your oven and situate top rack so it’s about 6” (15 cm) away from the heat source
- Turn fish so that the “presentation” (the side that looks better or the non-skin side) side is facing up in the marinating dish. Broil fish for 8 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness (~6 minutes / half inch (1.25 cm) is a good rule of thumb)
- Meanwhile, slice cucumbers and toss with half of the remaining sauce. Add in toasted sesame oil and half of sesame seeds. Season to taste with salt
- Pour the remainder of the sauce into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add 1 tsp. (5 ml) of corn starch mixed with 2 tbs. (30 ml) cold water. Stir to distribute and simmer until mixture thickens into a teriyaki sauce (similar to BBQ sauce consistency)
- When fish is done, brush with teriyaki sauce, and sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds. Serve with lemon wedges, more sauce on the side, your refreshing cucumber salad, and rice
This meal has 86 reviews
Really yummy, very fresh ingredients. Over all a great dish
Loved the tofu, but will do a different side next time.
The whole family fell in love, this really is a great dish!
My husband loved the salmon. I would make it again with chicken for myself. Not a salmon fan. Cuke salad was good, maybe less soy sauce in them next time. Plate looked like a restaurant meal, my daughter snapped a pic.
Cucumber salad was delicious - definitely will double the recipe if we make it again! I'm not a big fish person but it tasted good. Next time I may try to substitute chicken.
Really enjoyed this! Salmon was perfect, teriyaki sauce as well. Cucumber salad didn't fit in quite as well; might have been better chopped into smaller pieces.