Vietnamese Chicken Cabbage Slaw
This Vietnamese meal is light and delicious. The cabbage leaves provide just the right crunch and with the chicken already done, you'll have dinner ready before you know it.
Smarts: If you keep a few bananas in your freezer, you're never far from a refreshing smoothie treat.
- Pineapple - 1/2, chopped
- Bananas - 2
- Frozen strawberries - 2 cups
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Green cabbage (small) - 1/2 head, sliced ((3 to 4 cups))
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Leftover chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Leftover grated carrots - 1 cup ((~1 carrot))
- Leftover nuoc nam - 1 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Pistachios (unshelled) - 4 oz
- Sriracha - to taste
- Cabbage / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice if not done from yesterday. You can lightly warm them in the microwave - ~45 seconds will do.
- Make chicken cabbage slaw - Toss cabbage, grated carrots, cilantro, and chicken with nuoc nam and oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothie - Blend pineapple with bananas, strawberries, and coconut milk. If it’s not sweet enough for you, you can sweeten it with honey or Stevia. Refrigerate until serving. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Shell pistachios.
- Toss pistachios with chicken cabbage slaw. Season to taste with more salt and Sriracha as needed. Enjoy with your smoothie!
I favorited this, because I want to get good at making spring rolls. I think there is so much versatility if I master it! Need to check out other variations on CookSmarts. Notes to self: 1) be sure to heat the pan only lightly to soften rice paper rolls; 2) find a peanut sauce to use; 3) cover up with saran wrap to refrigerate or steam to reheat. Also, it's a great smoothie! I used 1/2 light coconut and 1/2 greek yogurt.0 Helpful
Loved the smoothie. The rice rolls, not so much.0 Helpful
I couldn't find rice papers at my grocery store, so I opted to make this as a noodle bowl. The vermicelli noodles were really sticky and hard to eat - did I over-cook them? Other than those issues, there was a really nice flavor in this dish.0 Helpful
I've made these before and still prefer shrimp over chicken, but I enjoyed the sauce seasoning0 Helpful
chicken made this more filling than my usual recipe, but it was still a lot of work. made peanut sauce too, and enjoyed it more.0 Helpful
I would like basil in this which I will try next time. We had it with Hoisin sauce... relish!0 Helpful