Chicken Banh Mi
with Sriracha mayo and pineapple spears
Banh mi's are classic Vietnamese sandwiches. You'll see them filled with all sorts of goodies, but we're going to keep it simple with chicken, which we've doubled so tomorrow's dinner comes together so much faster. If pineapple is not in season, just pick another fruit you love.
Smarts: Make mayo more fun by spooning in other condiments, like Sriracha or balsamic vinegar.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Mayo - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - to taste ((~1 tsp is a good heat level))
- Water - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Fish sauce - 1/4 cup ((Red Boat brand has the fewest additives))
- Lime juice - 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Chicken breasts (enough for tomorrow) - 2 lb
- Nuoc nam - 3 Tbsp + 3 Tbsp
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, grated ((~2 carrots))
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, leaves of
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 to 2, sliced
- Pineapple - 1/2, sliced into spears
- Cooking oil - for brushing on pan / grates
- Sandwich rolls - 4 ((Or sub 1 country baguette))
- Make nuoc nam - This makes enough for two nights. Combine sweetener and water and boil (or heat in a microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, until water is bubbling). Mix with remainder of sauce ingredients and season to taste with hot sauce. Adjust taste as needed - use fish sauce for more savory, more lime juice for tartness, more sweetener for sweetness. Remember to set some aside for tomorrow night. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - This makes enough for tomorrow’s meal too. Halve and place into a baking dish. Cover in first part of nuoc nam and then tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead).
- Carrots - Prep as directed. This makes enough for two nights. Mix with second part of nuoc nam. Reserve half for tomorrow. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Peel off leaves. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Jalapenos (if using) - Slice into thin circles. Remove seeds for less heat.
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. If making tomorrow’s smoothie, just chop it all. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Mince garlic and mix together with mayo, lemon juice, and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- For outdoor grill: Preheat grill to 500F(or 260C) degrees to get the grates nice and hot. Brush grill grates with some cooking oil. Sprinkle chicken with some salt and pepper, and add over direct heat. Grill on each side for 3 to 4 minutes with the grill cover closed. Rotate 45 degrees once on each side to get better grill marks.
- Stovetop: Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with some cooking oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper over chicken. Place onto heated pan. Grill on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes each. Rotate 45 degrees once on each side to get better grill marks. If the chicken isn’t cooked through, lower heat, and cover with foil until it reaches 165F (74C) degrees.
- Let rest for ~10 minutes and then slice (you can slice tomorrow’s portion too). Set aside half of the chicken for tomorrow.
- Slice open baguettes. Assemble sandwiches by spreading mayo onto bread and then layering cilantro leaves, carrot slaw, jalapenos, and chicken. Enjoy with pineapple spears!
I made a deconstructed version (no bread) and turned it into a rice bowl over brown rice or quinoa. So so so good.1 Helpful
So good. Used thighs instead of breasts and added hoisin and 5 spice powder to chicken marinade. I could eat this every day.0 Helpful
Instead of tofu I used tempeh. I marinated the tempeh in the noac nam and then sauté it till there was good carmelization on both sides. I used the left over marinade to glaze the tempeh as it was cooking. It was super yummy!0 Helpful
So easy to make!0 Helpful
Fish sauce smelled disgusting. We had to open the windows to get the smell out of the kitchen. With that being said, we loved this! We did not put the nuoc nam sauce on the carrots but we used it on the chicken and after cooking it, the fish taste was gone. Also, I don't like cilantro so we subbed basil and it was delicious.0 Helpful
delicious and easy. packed well for lunch the next day.0 Helpful