Tofu Kimchi Fried Rice
with quick pickled cucumbers
Smarts: Make sure to get extra-firm, vacuum packed tofu. It holds up so much better than the kind found in liquid.
- Cucumbers - 1 lb ((Look for special pickling cucumber or Persians if you can find them))
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- <a href="https://vimeo.com/105446857" target="blank">Extra-firm tofu (look for vacuum-packed)</a> - 1 lb, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Leftover cooked rice - 2 cups ((Made from last night's dinner))
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Kimchi - 2 cups
- Corn starch - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Pickling liquid (from kimchi - no need to buy anything separately) - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Cucumbers - Peel cucumbers into ribbons (like what we did with this zucchini), julienne, or put through the flat ribbon blade of your spiralizer (blade on the right of this photo - you can use this video as an example). Toss with rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving (ideally, at least 30 minutes). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tofu / Mushrooms / Green onions - Prep as directed. Make sure to check out our latest tofu video for better success! (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Leftover rice - Toss with first part of the cooking oil.
- Kimchi - Place colander / strainer into a bowl and separate pickling liquid from the cabbage.
- Toss tofu with corn starch.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add in second part of cooking oil, and then tofu to heated oil. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes, until the exterior starts to get golden.
- Add in first parts of soy sauce and kimchi pickling liquid. Saute tofu in sauce for another 2 minutes.
- Remove tofu from pan, leaving any liquid in the pan. Return wok to heat, add in white parts of green onion and saute ~1 minute. Add in mushrooms and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Next fold in leftover rice with second parts of soy sauce and pickling liquid. Toss to coat and then add in kimchi’ed cabbage.
- Return tofu to the fried rice and add in green parts of green onions. Season to taste with salt, pepper or more soy sauce and pickling liquid. Enjoy with pickled cucumbers!
Great way to spice up our normal stir fry. Esp loved the quick pickle cucumber!! Probably could reduce the amount of kimchi - this used almost the whole jar.0 Helpful
Family wasn't a fan of tofu, but I thought it was good.0 Helpful
Overall the dish was good. The pickled cucumbers were a favorite. The stir fry was yummy but the kimchi was a too strong for most of the family. Next time I would make it with plain cabbage. I loved the tips for the tofu and was excited to learn how to properly put tofu in our dinner rotation!0 Helpful
This was 'just' ok. Not a huge fan of kimchi, but fun to try new flavors in the kitchen.0 Helpful
We really liked the flavors!! Only thing I will change is next time I will chop up the kimchi a little bit- our toddler didnt like the big pieces of cabbage. Otherwise very well received!!0 Helpful
I made the kimchi on the weekend, which was worth the effort. The technique and tips for the tofu were definitely appreciated as well - WAAAY better than when I usually attempt it!0 Helpful