Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Mediterranean Pesto
with garlic broccolini
Roasted Eggplant and Red Pepper Walnut Pesto:
- Red peppers (medium-sized) - 2
- Chinese eggplants - 2 ((These are the longer, thinner eggplants. You can also substitute 3 Japanese eggplants))
- Garlic cloves - 2 , peeled
- Walnuts - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Parsley - 4 sprigs
- Lemon - 1 , juice of
Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Mediterranean Pesto:
- Portobello mushrooms - 4 , stems removed
- Olive oil - for brushing
- Salt and pepper -
- Lemon - 1/2 , wedges
- Homemade roasted eggplant and red pepper pesto - 1 cup ((Ingredients listed separately))
- Garlic cloves - 2 , minced
- Broccolini - 2 bunches
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- Roast Vegetables - Fire up your grill or turn on your oven’s broiler. Core stem out of red peppers. Pierce eggplant all over with a fork. Brush veggies lightly with some oil. Broil on a sheet pan or grill over direct heat for 6 minutes each side. Once red pepper is charred and eggplant is softened, place in a mixing bowl and cover with a plate for ~5 minutes to steam off skins. When cool enough to touch, scrape flesh out of eggplant and skin off of red pepper. This video shows you how to roast peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pesto - This makes enough for tomorrow’s meal too. Place flesh of eggplant, roasted red peppers, garlic, walnuts, salt, pepper and parsley into a food processor. Pulse until is everything is well blended. Finish with lemon juice and season to taste with more salt and pepper as needed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic (for Broccolini) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Remove stems. Place onto a sheet pan, brush with olive oil and salt and pepper.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- If making mushrooms on the grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Place mushrooms over direct heat. Cook with cover closed for 8 to 11 minutes, flipping once midway through.
- If making mushrooms in the oven: Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Roast for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Trim ends off of broccolini. Rinse and place into a microwave-safe dish. Toss with minced garlic and some salt and pepper. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 ½ to 3 minutes, until broccolini is tender but still crunchy. Finish with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Lightly warm up pesto and top roasted portobellos with pesto, and enjoy with broccolini. Slice rest of lemon into wedges and squeeze over everything.