Cajun Chicken Pasta
with peppers and mushrooms
Smarts: If you ever have sour cream around, add a few dollops to a grain dish to give it some texture and flavor.
- Chicken breasts - 2
- Cajun seasoning - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped with green and white parts separated
- Onion - 1, small - chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1, medium-sized - sliced
- Green bell pepper - 1, medium-sized - sliced
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes (14 oz) - 1 can, drained ((If you can't find fire-roasted, just sub normal diced tomatoes))
- Penne - 1/2 lb
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sour cream - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Chicken - Slice into strips. Season with first part of Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper. Tenderize with fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Green onions / Onions / Bell peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Open and drain of liquids. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Keep ~1 cup (236 ml) of pasta water (this amount is for 4 servings - adjust accordingly).
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to the heated oil. Saute for 4 to 6 minutes, until you get some color and some yummy chicken juices running out. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return saute pan to medium-high heat and now add ½ the pasta water to the pan scraping up any brown bits that may have formed. Add onions and white parts of green onions to the pan and saute for ~3 minutes, until softened. Next add in bell peppers, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and remainder of the pasta water. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes, until peppers have softened but still slightly crunchy.
- Return chicken to pan. Mix in pasta, second part of Cajun seasoning, and sour cream. Toss until everything is mixed through. Take off heat and finish with green parts of green onions and lemon juice. Season to taste with more Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper.
My 9 year old made this with me and it was fun and yum!0 Helpful
wish it was spicer!0 Helpful
Used fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis, and pre-marinated chicken breast (southwestern spices). Added andouille sausage. Threw in leftover romesco sauce (roasted red peppers, garlic, and tomatoes). Absolutely delicious, even the toddler ate it, minus the spicy sausage. Made enough to serve 6 to 8 people with my changes.0 Helpful
forgot the tomatoes and it was still awesome0 Helpful
I added some more spices as others had suggested and it was very good. Looking forward to leftovers.0 Helpful
Needs more cajun spice. Has lots of potential.0 Helpful