Grilled Orange-Rosemary Chicken
with garlic fennel broccolini
Smarts: If you have a large enough grill, double the chicken recipe and freeze for later or use the meat for sandwiches and salads later in the week. You won't regret it.
- Fresh orange juice - 1/4 cup ((If you get this from a fresh orange, you'll have an orange to zest for the broccolini))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced
- Rosemary - 2 sprigs
- Red wine vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1/4 cup
- Chicken, bone-in & skin-on - 2 lbs ((Sub half the weight in boneless chicken))
- Orange zest - 1/2 ((Zest from half an orange - you can use the same orange for your fresh OJ for the entree))
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Fennel - 1/2 bulb, sliced
- Broccolini - 1 bunch, ends trimmed ((If you love broccolini, double))
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Orange - Zest and then juice. The zest will be used for the broccolini and the juice for the chicken.
- Make marinade - Slice garlic cloves. Combine sliced garlic with rosemary sprigs, orange juice, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and oil in a baking dish. Nestle chicken into marinade. Cover and marinate overnight (or at least 30 minutes). (Should be done 1 day ahead).
- Garlic / Fennel / Broccolini - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- If making chicken on the grill: Preheat grill to 500 degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place chicken over direct heat. Cook over direct heat on opposite sides for ~4 minutes each and then move to indirect heat. Grill with cover closed for another 8 to 15 minutes depending on the size of chicken pieces and if there’s bone in it (bone-in chicken takes longer to cook). Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees.
- If making chicken in the oven: Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Adjust oven rack to the middle. Line broiler pan with foil and place broiler rack on top of the pan. Place chicken pieces on rack and roast for 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces and if there’s bone in it (bone-in chicken takes longer to cook). Use a thermometer to help you figure out when the chicken is done, at 165F (74C) degrees.
- Place garlic, fennel, and broccolini into a microwave-safe dish. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 and a half minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan, skillet, or saute pan over medium heat. Toast pine nuts until fragrant and golden, ~3 minutes.
- Now add cooking oil to the pan and then microwaved fennel and broccolini to heated oil. Saute until everything is cooked through, ~3 minutes. Finish with orange zest and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy with chicken.
This was really good. I only marinated it for an hour and the orange and rosemary definitely came through. The broccoli and fennel was great as well.0 Helpful
The marinade was not super flavorful but my husband thought the chicken turned out extremely well overall -- we tenderized it before marinading. Used broccoli rabe instead of broccolini which made the dish a bit more bitter, but the pine nuts, fennel and lemon juice really balanced it out.0 Helpful
Def marinate for a day (I only did an hour). The broccolini was a total show-stopper.0 Helpful
Fennel and broccoli was really good; used wings because that was the only bone-in, skin-on option. Not a ton of flavor to the chicken (marinated 6 hours).0 Helpful
We wound up serving this when we had guests visiting this past weekend. The chicken marinade was great - we let it marinate for about 24 hours. We also really loved the broccolini - I used sliced almonds in place of the pine nuts because we had those on hand. I added some pieces of grilled corn on the cob and some sliced cherry tomatoes and everyone really loved it.0 Helpful
This was my first meal from Cook Smart. I was quite proud of how it turned out. The whole family loved it. We only marinated for 3 hours. It would have been better overnight. As in a previous comment, you have to be extra careful when using a grill.0 Helpful