Grilled Rosemary Bisteca and Vegetables
with sun-dried tomato pesto and tomato salad
A good ol' grilled bisteca (steak) is a classic Italian dish. Grilled with a sprig of rosemary, you'll feel like you're in some rustic Italian locale. Served with grilled veggies, we have ourselves the start of tomorrow's dinner. Slather it all with a delicious sun-dried tomato pesto for the perfect finish.
Smarts: We know that using a lot of salt can be scary but unless you've got a medical condition, the salt is what helps season the steak and make a perfect sear.
- Red peppers - 3
- Zucchini - 4
- Eggplant - 1 ((1 Italian eggplant or 2 Chinese eggplants))
- Portobello mushrooms - 4
- Cooking oil - for brushing
- Rosemary - 2 sprigs
- Sun-dried tomato pesto - ~1/3 cup ((Ingredients listed separately))
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil - 3 Tbsp
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch
- Olive oil - 1/4 cup
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Heirloom tomatoes - 3/4 lb, chopped or sliced
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Red peppers / Zucchini / Eggplant - This makes enough for tomorrow’s dinner. Core red peppers and slice in half. Slice the zucchini and eggplant into ½” (1.25 cm) thick slices. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Snap off stems.
- Set up items for grilling - Brush some cooking oil on veggies and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place onto a sheet pan.
- Make pesto - This makes enough for tomorrow. In a food processor, pulse together pine nuts, garlic cloves, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside ½ for tomorrow. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Chop or slice into ½” (1.25 cm) thick pieces.
- If making veggies on grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Clean grates and brush with oil. Place veggies over direct heat. Set sprig of rosemary on top of mushroom. Sear veggies for 3 to 4 minutes each side, with the cover closed. Eggplant, zucchini, and red peppers will be ready to be moved off the grill at this point, but check to see if they need longer. Move mushrooms to indirect heat and cook with cover closed for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- If making veggies on stovetop: Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with some cooking oil. Place veggies onto hot grill pan (cook in batches if needed). Set sprig of rosemary on top of mushroom. Grill veggies for 3 to 4 minutes each side. Everything but the mushrooms should be done at this point, so remove everything but them. Lower heat and cover with foil, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Save half the veggies and half the pesto for tomorrow’s dinner.
- Toss tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and a light sprinkle of salt.
- Top grilled veggies with pesto and enjoy with summery tomatoes.
Delish. Loved the tomato pesto-- next time double that recipe.0 Helpful
Sooo yummy!0 Helpful
Used regular basil pesto instead of tomato pesto. We enjoyed!0 Helpful
used flank steak. Veggies were great grilled, but I also had especially yummy veggies from the CSA. Pesto was a hit0 Helpful
Pesto was great. Steak and veggies are always good on the grill, but I think the eggplant slices needed to be squeezed to reduce the water content. Also, steak at 3-4 minutes per side with NO extra cooking was medium well.0 Helpful
Pretty basic meal - nothing too fancy or hard about this one. I did like the pesto because it perked up a simple dish.0 Helpful