Seafood Pasta with Mussels and Calamari
and radicchio and mixed green salad
- Calamari - 3/4 lb, sliced into rings ((It's ok to get the tentacles too))
- Mussels - 1 lb, cleaned and debearded
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, diced
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Linguine - 1/2 lb
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Anchovy paste (opt) - 1 1/2 tsp ((Can find in tubes))
- Capers - 1 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained of liquid
- White wine - 2 Tbsp ((Use a dry white like a pinot grigio or a sauvignon blanc))
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp, diced
- Radicchio - 1/2 head, sliced or torn
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Calamari - Slice.
- Mussels - Cover in cold water and then drain. If you didn’t get your mussels debearded, debeard them using the help of this article.
- Garlic (for vinaigrette and pasta) / Shallots (for vinaigrette and pasta) / Radicchio / Parsley - Prep as directed. For radicchio, you can double and prep Wednesday’s portion too. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Vinaigrette - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Combine garlic and shallots with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Whisk in cooking oil, and then season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add linguine. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, shallots, anchovy paste, and capers to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and wine, and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mussels to pan. Cover with a lid and cook for ~5 minutes. Give the pan a shake before removing lid and folding in calamari. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until squid is cooked through. Toss with linguine and finish with lemon juice and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
- Toss balsamic vinaigrette with radicchio and mixed greens, and enjoy with seafood pasta.
Subbed chorizo for calamari. This made the sauce very rich and flavorful, but we probably lost the more subtle flavors of the capers, shallots, etc. Tip on reheating mussels (and similar seafood) -- separate the mussels, heat the other leftovers/sauce to VERY hot, and then stir the mussels back in -- this will warm them up without making them rubbery.0 Helpful
Better than I expected. Used Trader Joe's frozen seafood mix and added 2 tb of butter. Great!0 Helpful
Very easy, yet tasty meal. De warding the mussels was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I made a big batch -doubling the recipe to accommodate for more people, but wished I had more tomatoes/ sauce. I think the next time I make this I will dovle the ingredients for the sause, but use the same amount of spaghetti. Other than that the dish was a hit. The leftovers were a little dry, but I'm hoping more sauce will change that next time.0 Helpful
Added chili, butter, capsicum and olives to the sauce and took out the muscles. Absolutely delicious.0 Helpful
Usually I am not a fan of vegetarian meals, but I opted for this since I do not care for seafood. It was delicious!0 Helpful
Added a little shredded cheese on top and our 2 year old gobbled it up!0 Helpful