Seafood Pasta with Mussels and Calamari
and radicchio and mixed green salad
This dish will transport you to the Italian seaside. If you've never cooked with mussels or calamari, don't fear - they're incredibly easy to work with and you'll feel like a pro! Our veggie version will be featuring artichoke hearts and white beans.
Seafood Pasta with Calamari and Mussels:
- Calamari - 3/4 lb , sliced into rings ((It's ok to get the tentacles too))
- Mussels - 1 lb , cleaned and debearded
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Parsley - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Linguine - 1/2 lb
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Anchovy paste (opt) - 1 1/2 tsp ((Can find in tubes))
- Capers - 1 Tbsp
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , drained of liquid
- White wine - 2 Tbsp ((Use a dry white like a pinot grigio or a sauvignon blanc))
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
Radicchio and Mixed Green Salad:
- Garlic - 1 clove , minced
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp , diced
- Radicchio - 1/2 head , sliced or torn
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Calamari - Slice.
- Mussels - Cover in cold water and then drain. If you didn’t get your mussels debearded, debeard them using the help of this article.
- Garlic (for vinaigrette and pasta) / Shallots (for vinaigrette and pasta) / Radicchio / Parsley - Prep as directed. For radicchio, you can double and prep Wednesday’s portion too. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Vinaigrette - Double if making Wednesday’s meal. Combine garlic and shallots with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Whisk in cooking oil, and then season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add linguine. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, shallots, anchovy paste, and capers to heated oil. Saute for ~2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and wine, and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mussels to pan. Cover with a lid and cook for ~5 minutes. Give the pan a shake before removing lid and folding in calamari. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until squid is cooked through. Toss with linguine and finish with lemon juice and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.
- Toss balsamic vinaigrette with radicchio and mixed greens, and enjoy with seafood pasta.