Chicken Banh Mi
with Sriracha mayo and pineapple spears
Smarts: Make mayo more fun by spooning in other condiments, like Sriracha or balsamic vinegar.
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Mayo - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - to taste ((~1 tsp is a good heat level))
- Chicken breasts (enough for 2 meals) - 2 lbs
- Leftover nuoc nam - 3 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Leftover grated daikon radish - 1/2 cup
- Leftover grated carrots - 1/2 cup
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, leaves of
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 to 2, sliced
- Pineapple - 1/2, sliced into spears
- Cooking oil - for brushing on pan / grates
- Sandwich rolls - 4 ((Or sub 1 country baguette))
- Chicken - This makes enough for tomorrow’s meal too. Halve and place into a baking dish. Cover in first part of nuoc nam and then tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead).
- Make slaw - Mix second part of nuoc nam (made yesterday) with daikon and carrots (grated yesterday).
- Cilantro - Peel off leaves. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Jalapenos (if using) - Slice into thin circles. Remove seeds for less heat.
- Pineapple - Slice into spears. If making tomorrow’s smoothie, just chop it all. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Mix together minced garlic, Sriracha, mayo, and lemon juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- For outdoor grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees to get the grates nice and hot. Brush grill grates with some cooking oil. Sprinkle chicken with some salt and pepper, and add over direct heat. Grill on each side for 3 to 4 minutes with the grill cover closed. Rotate 45 degrees once on each side to get better grill marks.
- Stovetop: Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush pan with some cooking oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper over chicken. Place onto heated pan. Grill on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes each. Rotate 45 degrees once on each side to get better grill marks. If the chicken isn’t cooked through, lower heat, and cover with foil until it reaches 165F (74C) degrees.
- Let rest for ~10 minutes and then slice (you can slice tomorrow’s portion too). Set aside half the chicken for tomorrow
- Slice open baguettes. Assemble sandwiches by spreading mayo onto bread and then layering cilantro leaves, radish and carrot slaw, jalapenos, and chicken. Enjoy with pineapple spears!
I toasted some fresh hot dog buns instead of baguette and it worked out really well. I also swapped the mayo for an avocado and that was pretty yummy!0 Helpful
Very tasty. Added cucumber to the sub as well as a little basil. Next time will try it with a thin slice of cheese.0 Helpful
Loved the mayo blend. Will have to use a different bread next time.0 Helpful
Fabulous! All parts were tasty. Slaw, mayo, marinade. I used banana peppers.0 Helpful
This sandwich was simply epic and very filling. Quite a few parts to put together, but worth it.0 Helpful
Holy chicken, this was delicious! And extremely fast to make if you prepped the ingredients for the previous night's meal (lemongrass shrimp kebabs). Make sure that your chicken breasts aren't too thick (slice in half if they are), or else they take much longer to cook. Added a couple of tablespoons of Sriracha to the mayo -- love that spicy tang!0 Helpful