Tilapia Ceviche with Mango
and green gazpacho
Smarts: Gazpacho can also double as a sauce too. Pour it over proteins for another layer of delicious flavor.
- Tilapia - 3/4 lb
- Lime juice - 1/3 cup
- Mangos - 1, diced
- Red onion, small - 1/2 , diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Avocados - 1
- Hot sauce - as needed
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Onions, medium - 1, halved
- Jalapeno - 1, halved, seeds removed
- Garlic - 2 cloves, peeled
- Tomatillos - 3/4 lb, husked
- Cooking oil - as needed
- English cucumber - 1, 1/2 chopped, 1/2 diced (Sub 2 1/2 Persian or 1 regular)
- Avocados, medium - 1
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch
- Stock, chicken - 1 cup (sub water)
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp, (more to taste)
- For soup: Onions / Jalapenos / Garlic / Tomatillos - Prep as directed. Brush with some oil and place onto a sheet pan. Position top rack in the oven about 6-8” (15-20 cm) away from broiler, and broil for 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead).
- Puree and chill soup: Peel and slice cucumbers, discarding seeds. Half the cucumber can be just chopped into sticks (because they’ll be pureed); the other half should be diced. (Save the diced cucumber for garnish.) Combine cucumber with roasted veggies (the onions, jalapenos, garlic, and tomatillos), avocado, cilantro, and chicken stock in a food processor or blender. Pulse or puree until you get a silky soup. Refrigerate overnight to chill the soup. If you need to quickly chill the soup, put ice cubes into a big bowl, pour soup into another bowl and nestle that bowl on top of the ice cubes - transfer to fridge. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Fish - Rinse and dry fish. Slice into ½” (1.25 cm) wide cubes. Combine with lime juice, sprinkle with some salt, cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- For ceviche: Mango / Red onions / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead).
- Dice avocado (listed for ceviche).
- Mix fish with mango, red onions, cilantro, and avocado. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- After soup has been chilled, season to taste with salt, pepper, and lime juice, and garnish with diced cucumbers. Enjoy ceviche with chips or on its own!
So easy to make! So quick and delicious too!0 Helpful
Wow how did I not try this before?? Amazing summer meal! Everything was incredible!0 Helpful
We skipped the gazpacho to make things quicker. Ceviche was great. Next time I’d add some jalapeño and I’m only so-so on the mango, but will definitely be making this again in some variation.0 Helpful
Didn't like the gazpacho, but the ceviche was awesome! Super easy to make and nice to have done ahead of time.0 Helpful
Both were excellent! Good mix of flavors, and light and refreshing. I would keep more seeds in the jalapeno the next time to add more spice. I did make a mistake by only using half of the onion and half of the jalapeno -- don't be a dolt like me -- remember that "halved" is just telling you how to cut it, not how much to use!0 Helpful
I loved both the soup and the ceviche, but my husband and kids weren't crazy about the soup (I think they all just balk at cold soups in general, nothing particular about this recipe).0 Helpful