Portobello Pesto Pizzaswith red pepper and cucumber salad
It turns out folks love pizzas whether it's on a floury crust or on a mushrooms (clearly melted cheese has something to do with it). These veggie-based pizzas are a great way to use up some leftover pesto. And just like when we featured it first, our paleo option has you taking last night's pesto into an omelet.
Smarts: Make more of these for freezing. After cooking, let them cool and then place onto a sheet pan and freeze for ~3 hours. Then package them up individually in bags or foil.
- Portobello mushrooms - 4
- Tomatoes - 2 , sliced
- Olive oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Leftover pesto - 1/3 cup
- Mozzarella - 4 oz, grated ((Or just used a slice of sandwich cheese - mozzarella, fontina, Swiss))
- Red peppers - 1 , chopped ((1 large or 2 small))
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Sherry or red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 6 oz
- Sliced almonds - 1/4 cup
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stems. Using the side of a spoon, scrape out the inside gills (the dark ridge-y stuff). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice.
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Brush portobello mushrooms with olive oil (both sides). Place portobellos cap side down (or stem-side up, even though the stems are gone) on a sheet pan. Spoon pesto into mushroom. Top with sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle on cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- While pizzas are baking, chop peppers and cucumbers. Make vinaigrette if not already done from last night. Whisk together honey, Dijon, vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When portobello pizzas are done, toss vinaigrette with peppers, cucumbers, mixed greens, and sliced almonds. Enjoy!
This meal has 13 reviews
Everyone liked it!
The mushrooms came out really watery and made it kind of difficult to eat without creating a drippy mess. (The tomatoes also added more water)
Really loved these little pizzas, rather then the salad I diced cucumbers and peppers and added them to couscous- it was great
Good flavor but turned out really watery- maybe because I used fresh mozzarella
Another FANTASTIC dish!! I love the flavor of the pesto, with the mushroom. Such a great combination!!
Need more than 2 portobellos per person since they shrink a little while cooking. Fresh mozzarella on top was a nice touch.