Curry Chickenwith red peppers & carrots + rice
Fragrant curry paste add depth and flavor to these simple ingredients. You can easily double the recipe for easy freezing. Tofu and curry are also a winning combination so vegetarians will love it too
- White / brown rice - 1 cup
- Skinless chicken breasts - 1 1/2 lbs
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Red peppers - 2, chopped
- Carrots - 1 lb, peeled & chopped
- Coconut milk - 1 can ((light is fine))
- Red or yellow curry paste - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken stock - 1 1/2 cups
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1
- Basil - 2 sprigs, leaves
- Rice - Make if not done on prep day. If you're also making tomorrow's meal, double the portions. Cook rice with a 2:1 water to rice ratio. Bring to a boil, then simmer until rice has absorbed all liquid (20 to 25 min. for white rice; 45 to 50 for brown)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces
- Onions / Red peppers / Carrots - Prep as directed
- Heat a 3 quart (2.84 liters) saucepan or Dutch oven over med-high heat. Pour in half a can of coconut milk and whisk in 2 tbs. (30 ml) of curry paste. Simmer for ~1 minute
- Add chopped onions and simmer for another ~3 minutes. Next add chicken and cook for another ~3 minutes. Add in red peppers and carrots with remainder of coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Cover and bring to a boil
- Lower heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for an additional 8 to 10 minutes
- Finish curry with juice from half a lime. Season to taste with more fish sauce (if it's not salty enough), sweetener (if it's not sweet enough), curry paste (for more herb notes), or lime juice (if it's not tart enough). Add in basil leaves
- Ladle heaping spoonfuls over rice
This meal has 12 reviews
I need to use the full fat coconut milk, less chicken broth, and more curry paste. It was a bit too watery and not spicy enough. But I still enjoyed it!
Good. We did add mushrooms which made the the meal awesome!
Very good flavor and it made a LOT. I doubled the rice for a future recipe but ended up eating it all in leftovers for this recipe. I added more than the recommended amount of curry paste but wanted it spicier. Maybe add some crushed chili peppers, cayenne or jalapeno next time.
I went back in the archives and looked at weeks before I joined, which is how I found this one. This was amazing! Note to self: Use more curry paste next time and cook on low so the broth doesn't separate.
This was amazing!! I think red curry is my new favourite. I loved the complex flavours that the lime, fish sauce and chicken broth added. The best curry I've ever made and I'll make this again and again! Doubled the recipe to bring some to a friend who has a new baby, and it doubled really nicely.
This was ok. My husband liked it more than I did so it might be that I just don't care for curry, or it might have been the curry paste that I bought.