with leftover basmati rice
We continue with the Indian flavors with a mix of spices in this lentil soup. Our paleo members will enjoy it as a chicken and veggie soup. Finish it off with a dollop of yogurt to cool it down.
Smarts: Soak lentils overnight, and they'll cook super quick day of.
- French or green lentils - 2/3 cup, uncooked ((Sub ~2 cups or 1 can of cooked lentils))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Celery - 2 stalks, diced
- Carrots - 3/4 lb, diced ((Sub 2 1/2 cups frozen))
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Coriander - 1/2 Tbsp
- Curry powder - 1/2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Chicken stock - 4 cups
- Leftover basmati rice - ~2 cups
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Plain Greek yogurt - for serving ((~2 tbsp / serving))
- Lentils - Soak lentils in 4x the amount of water, preferably overnight. This will speed up cooking greatly! (Should be done 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Celery / Carrots / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mix spices - Mix together coriander, curry powder, cumin, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions with a dash of salt. Saute for 3 minutes, until softened.
- Next add celery, carrots, lentils, crushed tomatoes, and mix of spices. Saute to release the fragrance of the spices.
- Add chicken stock, cover, and bring to a boil. Uncover and simmer until lentils and carrots are tender. If you soaked the lentils, this should take about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in leftover basmati rice. Finish with lemon juice. Season to taste with salt or any of the other spices. Top with yogurt and chopped cilantro.
eater who hates lentils just loved the food :)0 Helpful
loved it. So filling!0 Helpful
Perfect fall soup! The recipe made enough for leftovers, which were just as good as the first time...0 Helpful
We liked this a lot, there just wasn't anything special about it. I was sad that I didn't realize to save a couple Tbs. of yogurt at the beginning of the week. I bet it would've have been the cream on top!0 Helpful
Didn't pre-soak the lentils, simmered for about 45 min with good results.0 Helpful
Really good, and super easy to make. Next time im going to add a bit of hot spice to make it really pop.0 Helpful