Lemon Scallion Tilapia
This one-dish bake requires just a few ingredients and helps you get dinner on the table in a flash. Our paleo and veggie members will be enjoying this as a stir-fry that still comes together easily and quickly.
Smarts: Asparagus is a great veggie to roast with fish since both cook relatively quickly.
- Brown rice - 1 1/3 cup, uncooked ((Sub ~4 cups))
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Asparagus - 1 lb, ends trimmed
- Tilapia - 1 lb
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Mirin (opt) - 1 tsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Brown rice - This makes enough for tomorrow night’s dinner too. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. Reserve half for tomorrow night. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Green onions / Asparagus - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tilapia - Rinse and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. (You can also follow these same steps in your grill, but just make sure to use a grill-safe non-glass pan.)
- In a rectangular baking pan, mix together garlic, white parts of green onions, soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, toasted sesame oil, and water.
- Coat asparagus and tilapia fillets in sauce. Spread asparagus spears out on bottom of the pan. Layer tilapia fillets on top of the asparagus.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until tilapia is flaky and asparagus is cooked through. Finish with lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Top with green parts of green onions. Enjoy on top of rice but remember to save half of rice for tomorrow.
Easy and light for spring.im writing this review several weeks after the fact but I remember it turned out well.0 Helpful
great easy dish! was done 30 mins0 Helpful
Double the sauce.0 Helpful
Would use less soy sauce. Asparagus needs more time intl the oven than given.0 Helpful
LOVED how simple this was, yet very flavorful. Didn't have mirin and didn't miss it. We didn't have enough rice leftover for tomorrow's meal, and it would have saved us a ton of time if we didn't have to make a fresh batch, so plan ahead!0 Helpful
Unexpectedly great! We loved it.0 Helpful