Grilled BBQ Chicken
with peas and couscous and watermelon smoothie
Smarts: Make this chicken on the grill, in the oven or even in a slow cooker. Kebabs are best grilled or done on the stovetop.
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Ketchup - 1/4 cup
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Chicken, bone-in & skin-on - 2 lbs
- Onions - 1/2, diced
- Mint - 2 sprigs, sliced in a chiffonade
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Peas - 1 cup ((If you can find fresh English peas, definitely use them!))
- Leftover cooked Israeli couscous - 1 cup
- Rice vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Watermelon, seedless - 1/2 ((~8 cups))
- Strawberries - 4 cups, frozen ((You can use fresh, too, but it will be a less-thick smoothie))
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Honey - to taste
- Make BBQ sauce - Mince garlic. Combine with ketchup, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, and mustard in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 to 1 ½ minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead).
- Chicken - Season and tenderize with salt and pepper. If you are planning on slow-cooking chicken, remove skin first. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Mint - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make watermelon smoothie - Chop watermelon and remove stems from strawberries. Puree in a blender with honey, salt, and lime juice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Divide BBQ sauce into two bowls - one bowl will be for basting (or brushing) while grilling. The other bowl will be for after grilling.
- Chicken on outdoor grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees. Once grill hits 500F (260C), dip a paper towel into oil, and using tongs, rub paper towel against your grill grates. Place chicken on hot, oiled grill grates, and grill on each side for ~8 minutes with the lid closed. You want to keep the temperature at ~400F (204C) degrees. Now brush with BBQ sauce on both sides and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes (or until chicken reaches 165F (74C) degrees) with lid closed. Flip once during this time. Remove from grill.
- Chicken in the broiler: Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees and adjust top rack to be about 4” (10 cm) away from broiler. Broil chicken on each side for ~10 minutes. Brush with BBQ sauce on both sides and broil for another 5 to 6 minutes (or until chicken reaches 165F (74C) degrees).
- Chicken in the slow-cooker - Cover chicken with half the BBQ sauce and slow-cook on low for ~6 hours. Use a fork to pull meat off the bone. Return to slow cooker with remainder of the BBQ sauce for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, heat up a saute pan. Add cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes. Next add in peas and leftover couscous. If using fresh peas, add them first with a splash of water and saute for ~5 minutes before adding couscous. Toss until everything is warmed through. Remove from heat and add rice vinegar and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy BBQ chicken with remainder of sauce, side of peas and couscous, and watermelon smoothie!
BBQ sauce was excellent. We also added in banana to our smoothie mix, which made it absolutely incredible.0 Helpful
Delicious. I quartered a chicken and it took about double the time in the oven.0 Helpful
We used prefab BBQ sauce, but I had to favorite this because the chicken came out perfectly on the grill when we did 8 min. per side plus 3 per side after adding the sauce - moist and tender with just the right amount of char/crispy skin. Agree with others that the couscous is way better than you'd expect if you don't really like peas (we just used frozen peas).0 Helpful
Don't usually care for peas, but these were great. The chicken didn't turn out looking so amazing but tasted great as well, in spite of being broiler cooked. We added tequila to our smoothies!0 Helpful
Our chicken needed another 8 minutes in a covered grill, but we don't have a grill thermometer, so it may have been that it wasn't hot enough to begin with. The couscous and peas were delicious!0 Helpful
Everybody liked this one. The smoothie was a hit with the kids.0 Helpful