Asian Rotisserie Chicken Salad
with nuoc nam dressing
Rotisserie chicken is such a convenient shortcut, and it makes this light and crunchy salad a full meal. Our vegetarians will be adding even more green to this salad with edamame and cucumber. You'll definitely want to make this all summer long.
Smarts: Make one day early so the veggies have plenty of time to soak up all the flavors of the nuoc nam sauce.
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp (Red Boat brand has the fewest additives)
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - to taste
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2 , shredded
- Red peppers - 2 , sliced thinly
- Napa cabbage - 1/2 head , sliced thinly ((~6 cups when sliced. Sub green cabbage))
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , grated
- Basil - 2 sprigs , chiffonade
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup , crushed
Rotisserie chicken - Take meat off the bone and shred. Use knife and fork or just hands. If you’re making tomorrow night’s dinner, prep both night’s portions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Make nuoc nam - Double ingredients if making Tuesday’s dinner too. Combine sweetener and water and boil (or heat in a microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, until water is bubbling). Mix with remainder of sauce ingredients and season to taste with hot sauce. Adjust taste as needed - use fish sauce for more savory, more lime juice for tartness, more sweetener for sweetness. If you doubled, remember to set aside half. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Basil - Chiffonade.
Toss chicken, peppers, cabbage, carrots, and basil with nuoc nam and cooking oil. If possible, cover and refrigerate for ~30 minutes before enjoying. This will give the salad some time to marinate in the dressing’s flavors.
Top with peanuts before serving.