Chopped Salad with White Beans
- Baguette or ciabatta - 1/2 loaf , torn into pieces
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp + 1/4 cup
- Tomatoes - 1 lb , chopped ((Use heirlooms if they're available))
- Red onion - 1/2 , sliced
- Green beans / haricot verts - 1/2 lb , trimmed
- Basil - 4 sprigs , sliced
- Cucumbers - 1 lb , chopped
- White beans (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can , rinsed and drained ((Such as cannellini, northern, butter beans))
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 6 oz
Baguette - Heat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. Tear baguette into bite-sized pieces and toss with first part of olive oil and salt. Spread out onto a sheet pan, and toast for 15 to 18 minutes. If you’d prefer to do it in a grill, just place bread pieces into a grill pan. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Red onions / Green beans - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Beans - Rinse and drain.
Whisk together maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and second part of olive oil.
Place green beans in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 1 ½ to 2 ½ minutes depending on thickness.
In a large bowl, toss vinaigrette with bread and let sit for 10 minutes, so the bread has some time to soften.
Add tomatoes, red onions, green beans, beans, cucumbers, basil, and mixed greens.