with bruschetta and roasted butternut squash
As we enter the heat of summer, we'll try to do less in the oven and always offer grill directions when appropriate. Enjoy roasted butternut squash fresh from the oven or on your grill. Paired with balsamic chicken (or portobellos) and classic bruschetta, you'll have a colorful meal.
Smarts: Rubbing bread with a garlic clove gives it just the hint of garlic. A little goes a long way!
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Portobello mushrooms - 4
- Cheese - 4 slices ((This will be used on top of portobello. Try fresh mozzarella or fontina))
- Butternut squash - 1, chopped into 1/2" cubes ((Look for a ~3 lb. butternut squash))
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Parmesan cheese - 2 Tbsp, grated
- Cherry tomatoes - 1 pint, halved
- Shallots - 1 bulb, diced
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Baguette or ciabatta - 1/2 loaf
- Garlic - 1 clove, peeled
- Butternut squash (This makes enough for tomorrow) - Preheat oven or grill to 425F (218C) degrees. Chop squash and toss with oil and brown sugar on a sheet pan (or grill pan like this for your outdoor grill). Spread out into one layer and roast for 20 to 30 minutes until squash is tender. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Reserve half for tomorrow night’s dinner. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Mix together balsamic vinegar, Dijon, honey, and oil.
- Marinade mushrooms - Cover in marinade. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make bruschetta topping - Halve tomatoes and dice shallots. Toss with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If making portobellos and bread in the oven: Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Place portobellos on a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, topping with cheese for the last 5 minutes. While portobellos are baking, Slice baguette into 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick slices at a diagonal. Brush one side with olive oil and spread out onto another sheet pan. Toast for 5 to 7 minutes, until bread is golden. When baguette slices are toasted, slice your garlic clove in half. Rub the open side of the garlic clove against the oiled side of the bread. This will give your bread a lovely hint of garlic.
- If making portobellos and bread on outdoor grill: Preheat grill to 400F (204C) degrees, keeping one part on higher heat and another part on lower heat. Clean grates and add portobellos to higher heat part. Sear on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes and then move to lower heat. Add bread to the grill where mushrooms were. Add cheese to mushrooms, close grill cover and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes. Flip bread once midway through. When baguette slices are toasted, slice your garlic clove in half. Rub the open side of the garlic clove against the oiled side of the bread. This will give your bread a lovely hint of garlic.
- Spoon bruschetta topping over toasts and enjoy with mushrooms and butternut squash. (Remember to save half the squash for tomorrow night’s soup)
This likely would have been much better on a grill. Unfortunately the marinade that was left on the breasts burned before the chicken was cooked through. The bruschetta and the butternut squash were great. Alternatively, I could get smaller breasts.0 Helpful
Loved the bruschetta!0 Helpful
I made this using chicken thighs and served it with a simple side salad. I loved the flavor of the marinade and the oil kept the chicken nice and moist. I can't wait to make this again with the squash and bruschetta.0 Helpful
We liked everything individually in the meal, I just didn't think the tomatoes and the squash went together as a flavor palette... next time I would probably make something green as a side instead of the squash.0 Helpful
This was delicious! The chicken was tender and so flavorful. The butternut squash was sweet and savory. My very picky 18 month old couldn't get enough of the squash and even ate some of the chicken. Will be making this again.0 Helpful
This was great! The whole family enjoyed!0 Helpful