Tri-Color Soba Noodle Salad
This noodle (or green papaya for our paleo followers) is full of textures, colors, and flavor. It works great for a weeknight dinner, makes great leftovers (no need to warm up), and would be a wonderful addition to a summer potluck.
Smarts: Make one day before serving so that the vinaigrette has extra time to seep into all the ingredients.
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separated
- Green cabbage - 1/2 head, sliced
- Red peppers - 2, sliced
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Shrimp - 1 lb, peeled and deveined
- Buckwheat soba noodles - 1/2 lb
- Rice vinegar - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Poach shrimp by filling a saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, salt, and add in shrimp. Simmer shrimp for ~4 minutes, until shrimp is pink. Drain.
- Mix together rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Whisk in cooking oil.
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat and add white parts of green onions and cabbage with a splash of water. Saute for ~3 minutes, until just slightly softened. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, toss noodles, cabbage, red peppers, cucumbers, green parts of green onions, and shrimp with dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if using.
My husband is grateful that you've made me realize I actually like soba noodles! (He loves them.) For years I had them confused with udon, which I don't like. Happy to have sorted that out! Changes we'll make next time: double the sauce, sauté the shrimp. For some reason, although we poached the shrimp double the amount of time suggested, they still weren't cooked all the way. Or if they were... they were a bit slimy-textured. Overall, very refreshing entree!0 Helpful
It was ok. I didn't like the sauce, I thought a sweeter sauce (teriyaki style) would have served it better.0 Helpful
A little bland. I should've read he reviews first. But I will try it again. Next time I'll add some jalapeño. And flavor the shrimp. I did cook the peppers and add some sriracha.0 Helpful
This was a little bland for us. It made a huge batch, but I will be adding spices to up the flavor.0 Helpful
Was delicious cold for lunch the next day too!0 Helpful
My husband really liked this. It seemed like we ended up with a lot of food, so I actually nearly doubled the dressing, and added sriacha and a little drop of honey, based on previous comments that this was kind of bland.0 Helpful