Egg Salad Toasts
with roasted radish and butter lettuce salad
Egg salad is perfect for a picnic or a summery dinner too. Combine it with sliced cucumbers and avocado for a more sophisticated treat. Our paleo members will be enjoying this as a shrimp cobb salad.
Smarts: There are tons of tips out there for making easier-to-peel hard boiled eggs, but I find using older eggs to be the trick. This is why this is an end of the week meal.
- Eggs - 10
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 1/2 tsp
- Ciabatta - 8 slices, sliced on the bias
- Cucumber - 1/2 lb, sliced thinly ((Use Persian or English for fewer seeds))
- Avocado (small to medium) - 2, sliced ((Or sub 1 large))
- Radishes (loose) - 1 lb, trimmed and halved ((~1/2 bunch))
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Butter lettuce - 1 head, leaves torn or chopped
- Hard boil eggs - Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water by ~1 inch (2.5cm). Sprinkle in some salt and bring to a boil. Once water boils, remove pan from heat and let the eggs sit in the heated water for 11 minutes. Rinse in cold water and peel when they’re cool enough to work with. The easiest way to crack the shell is to just roll it lightly against a hard surface and the shell should crack for easy peeling. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Radishes - Halve. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees.
- Place radishes on a sheet pan, toss with cooking oil, and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until they’ve become golden and translucent.
- While radishes are roasting, make egg salad. Chop eggs and mix with mayo and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you want, brush bread with oil (not listed in ingredients), place onto another sheet pan and toast in the oven after radishes come out or towards the end of radish roasting.
- Slice cucumber and avocado for sandwiches.
- Whisk together Dijon, honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assemble toasts with cucumber slices, egg salad, and avocado. You can enjoy them open faced or closed. Toss radishes and butter lettuce with vinaigrette. Enjoy your sophisticated sandwich and salad combo!
Added relish to salad, and arugula to the sandwich. I liked the cucumber and avocado. Roasting the radishes made them taste like daikon. We just snacked on those, and I will add that to my list of good things to roast. It's a great use of radishes and also makes them milder and easier on the stomach.0 Helpful
Salad was okay. Egg salad was great! added more mayonnaise and Dijon, plus some celery salt. Skipped the cucumber (not a fan).0 Helpful
The roasted radish started out good but was just too bitter as I continued on.0 Helpful
You can't go wrong with egg salad! The roasted radishes grew on me but weren't my favorite. I love the bite of a raw radish though.0 Helpful
We really enjoyed this meal as did the guests we happened to have. Serving the egg salad open faced on ciabatta made it fancy and fun. We wouldn't have thought of preparing egg salad. Delicious vinegairrette too.0 Helpful
Tasty egg salad sandwich and enjoyed the roasted radishes! The cumbers were a nice touch and provided great crunch. Added fennel seed in the egg salad and used whipped grapeseed oil as substitute for mayo.0 Helpful