with kale and apple salad
Sundried tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and fresh cherry tomatoes go in this three-tomato spaghetti. Served up with a side of kale and apple salad, you've got a balanced meal. Save some of the sauce for Thursday night's rellenos.
Three Tomato Spaghetti:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Shallots - 1 bulb , minced
- Sundried tomatoes in oil - 1/3 cup , chopped
- Tomatoes, cherry - 1 pint , halved
- Spaghetti - 2/3 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Honey - 1 tsp
Kale and Apple Salad:
- Kale - 1 bunch , leaves of
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Apples - 2 , sliced
- Walnuts - 1/3 cup , crushed
- Garlic / Shallots / Sundried tomatoes - Prep as directed. If making ahead, you can put them all into one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Kale - Tear leaves off of stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Dress kale - Whisk together balsamic, Dijon, honey, and cooking oil. Dress kale with vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Cherry tomatoes - Halve.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt and add noodles. Cook until al dente, tender but still “with a bite.” Reserve 1/4 cup (59 ml) (for 4 servings - adjust accordingly) of pasta water before draining.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garlic, shallots, and sundried tomatoes. Sweat (i.e., release the liquids) these veggies for ~3 minutes. Add in crushed tomatoes, honey, and let simmer.
- When pasta is done cooking, set aside ~⅓ of the tomato sauce (you’ll use it for the chile rellenos). Toss the pasta with remainder of the sauce and reserved pasta water.
- Slice apples. Toss apples and walnuts into kale salad.
- Serve pasta with halved cherry tomatoes and kale salad on the side.