with kale and apple salad
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Shallots - 1 bulb, minced
- Sundried tomatoes in oil - 1/3 cup, chopped
- Cherry tomatoes - 1 pint, halved
- Spaghetti - 2/3 lb
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Kale - 1 bunch, leaves of
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Apples - 2, sliced
- Walnuts - 1/3 cup, crushed
- Garlic / Shallots / Sundried tomatoes - Prep as directed. If making ahead, you can put them all into one container. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Kale - Tear leaves off of stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Dress kale - Whisk together balsamic, Dijon, honey, and cooking oil. Dress kale with vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- Cherry tomatoes - Halve.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt and add noodles. Cook until al dente, tender but still “with a bite.” Reserve 1/4 cup (59 ml) (for 4 servings - adjust accordingly) of pasta water before draining.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then garlic, shallots, and sundried tomatoes. Sweat (i.e., release the liquids) these veggies for ~3 minutes. Add in crushed tomatoes, honey, and let simmer.
- When pasta is done cooking, set aside ~⅓ of the tomato sauce (you’ll use it for the chile rellenos). Toss the pasta with remainder of the sauce and reserved pasta water.
- Slice apples. Toss apples and walnuts into kale salad.
- Serve pasta with halved cherry tomatoes and kale salad on the side.
Great combination. Added some italian seasonings to the sauce0 Helpful
Per other comments: doubled the garlic, added oregano, used crushed tomatoes with basil, and fresh basil and Parmesan on top. Surprisingly tasty for being so simple! The apples in the salad paired well with the pasta sauce.0 Helpful
Added hamburger, twice the garlic and a few Tbs of pork chop seasoning0 Helpful
Massage the kale! This recipe didn't say to do it, so I thought, well, I've never tried eating raw kale without massaging it... it was way too crunchy. Overall, a very tasty dinner, but... still trying to decide if it was worth all the effort when it didn't taste that different from canned sauce. But I'm glad it was at least not super sugary like canned sauce. Okay... remade this and it was incredible. I think the difference might have been the farmer's market tomatoes we put in it. Wow... will change rating and add to favorites.0 Helpful
Salad surprised us. It was really good. The main course was excellent. Added more garlic (doubled), and oregano per advice of others and it was delish. Oh, for the sun-dried tomatoes I picked up Cucina & Amore brand Bruschetta (Sun-Dried Tomatoes).0 Helpful
We found the pasta sauce to have a weird flavor (might have been the sundried tomatoes I used-- from the olive bar rather than a jar). I liked the salad, but it could have used some extra dressing.0 Helpful