Chicken Fajita Bowl
This chicken (or black bean) fajita bowl spices up June with lots of bold flavors. Crunchy onions and peppers provide just the right texture and balance to tender chicken or black beans. Enjoy over quinoa (our paleo members will be having this with one other veggie - zucchini).
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts - 1 lb, sliced
- Red onion - 1 , sliced
- Bell peppers, any combo - 1 lb, sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Quinoa - 1 cup, uncooked
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Lime - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Chicken - Slice. Toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Peppers / Garlic / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Combine quinoa (this makes enough for tomorrow’s dinner) with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a saute pan or a wok (I find the high walls of a wok to work very well for fajita cooking) over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until golden on the outside, ~3 minutes. Use tongs to remove chicken from pan, leaving oil (and all those yummy spices) in the pan. Set chicken aside (does not have to be cooked through at this point).
- Add onions to the pan and saute until softened and translucent, ~3 minutes. Toss in peppers and garlic, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add chicken (and all its juices) back into the pan. Toss through and cook until chicken is done (you might just have to slice through to check).
- Remove from heat and finish with lime juice. Toss with cilantro and season to taste with salt, pepper, and / or hot sauce. Finish with a dollop of sour cream (~2 tbs. (30 ml) / serving). Enjoy over quinoa (but remember to save 1 cup - enough for 4 servings - for Thursday’s dinner).
Added double the chilli and some jalapenos peppers (We like spice) and it was amazing! Taught the bf that he loves quinoa :)0 Helpful
My husband is so stingy with the 4 stars... he will only give that rating if it is the best thing ever. I would have given this 4... but anyways, loved it! We did not have any quinoa left over for Thursday, so will have to cook more.0 Helpful
I served this over rice because I don't like quinoa. The chicken is pretty tasty! Next time, I'd marinate it longer than the 30 minutes I did and add citrus juice, like orange, and maybe some soy sauce. And, yeah, add more chile powder. 1/4 tsp is never enough chile powder for anything.0 Helpful
Altered to more traditional fajitas (subbed tortillas for quinoa). Very good!0 Helpful
This was okay. It was not flavorful enough for me, but I did have plenty of leftovers so that was great.0 Helpful
Man, the seasoning blend was delicious! Suggest scaling up the amounts to make a little extra to make sure there's lots of flavor. Would be great with quinoa, rice, or tortillas as many have suggested.0 Helpful