Chicken Fajita Bowl
This chicken (or black bean) fajita bowl spices up June with lots of bold flavors. Crunchy onions and peppers provide just the right texture and balance to tender chicken or black beans. Enjoy over quinoa (our paleo members will be having this with one other veggie - zucchini).
Chicken Fajita Quinoa Bowl:
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts - 1 lb , sliced
- Red onion - 1 , sliced
- Bell peppers, any combo - 1 lb , sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , minced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Quinoa - 1 cup , uncooked
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Lime - 1/2 , juice of
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Chicken - Slice. Toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Onions / Peppers / Garlic / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Combine quinoa (this makes enough for tomorrow’s dinner) with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a saute pan or a wok (I find the high walls of a wok to work very well for fajita cooking) over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until golden on the outside, ~3 minutes. Use tongs to remove chicken from pan, leaving oil (and all those yummy spices) in the pan. Set chicken aside (does not have to be cooked through at this point).
- Add onions to the pan and saute until softened and translucent, ~3 minutes. Toss in peppers and garlic, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add chicken (and all its juices) back into the pan. Toss through and cook until chicken is done (you might just have to slice through to check).
- Remove from heat and finish with lime juice. Toss with cilantro and season to taste with salt, pepper, and / or hot sauce. Finish with a dollop of sour cream (~2 tbs. (30 ml) / serving). Enjoy over quinoa (but remember to save 1 cup - enough for 4 servings - for Thursday’s dinner).