Pulled Pork Sandwiches
with coriander carrot fries
We use pork tenderloin to make these healthier pulled pork sandwiches, but you'll be shocked at how flavorful and juicy they still are! Our vegetarians will be enjoying the same flavors with tempeh strips and our paleo folks will be having these as lettuce cups. Don't forget to save some for Thursday night's chile relleno stuffing!
Pulled Pork Sandwiches:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Pork tenderloin - 2 lbs , sliced
- Apple cider vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander - 1 tsp
- Burger buns - 4 ((Or 8 small slider buns))
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Cabbage - 1/4 head , sliced
- Cilantro - 1/3 bunch , chopped
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
Coriander Carrot Fries:
- Carrots - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced into sticks
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Note about the pork - The recipe suggests doing this in a slow cooker. However if you are sans slow cooker, you can make this in your oven. Follow directions below but place pork and marinade in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook in the oven at 250F (121C) degrees for about 2 to 3 hours until internal temperature reaches 180F (82C) degrees.
- Slow cook pork - This makes enough for Thursday’s dinner. Mince garlic. Slice pork into 1” (2.5 cm) thick pieces, at a diagonal (I find slicing it before putting it in the slow cooker increases the surface area for flavor absorption). Place in slow cooker. Cover pork with apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, cumin, coriander, and garlic. Tenderize pork with a fork to get the flavors into the meat. Cook on low for ~8 hours or high for ~4 hours. (Should be done 1 day ahead)
- Carrots / Cabbage / Cilantro (for slaw and carrots) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Mix cabbage and cilantro together with coriander, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and cooking oil in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees. If it's too hot to fire up the oven, turn your grill into an oven (I do this all summer long, and it's great). Follow the same temperature and instructions but just place carrots into a skillet or a foil pan. Give them a shake every 10 minutes.
- Spread carrots out onto a sheet pan and toss with cooking oil. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden on the outside.
- While carrots are roasting, using two forks or tongs and a fork, pull pork apart directly in slow cooker with the juices. Let the pulled pork sit in the juices on warm while carrots are roasting.
- Toast buns if desired. You can just place them in the oven when the carrots are almost done.
- When carrots are done, toss with coriander and cilantro. Assemble sandwiches with pulled pork, slaw, and a dollop of sour cream (~2 tbs. (30 ml) / serving). Remember to save ~2 cups (473 ml)(for 4 servings - adjust accordingly) of pulled pork for Thursday’s dinner though. Enjoy!