Portobello Pesto Pizzas
with red pepper and cucumber salad
Get rid of last night's pesto with these simple vegetable-based pizzas, which is lighter in calories and provides an umami, meaty flavor. Our paleo option has you taking last night's pesto into an omelet.
- Portobello mushrooms - 4
- Tomatoes - 2 , sliced
- Olive oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Leftover pesto - 1/3 cup
- Mozzarella - 4 oz, grated ((Or just used a slice of sandwich cheese - mozzarella, fontina, Swiss))
- Red peppers - 1 , chopped ((1 large or 2 small))
- Cucumbers - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Sherry or red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 6 oz
- Sliced almonds - 1/4 cup
- Portobello mushrooms - Remove stems. Using the side of a spoon, scrape out the inside gills (the dark ridge-y stuff). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tomatoes - Slice.
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Brush portobello mushrooms with olive oil (both sides). Place portobellos cap side down (or stem-side up, even though the stems are gone) on a sheet pan. Spoon pesto into mushroom. Top with sliced tomatoes and then sprinkle on cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- While pizzas are baking, chop peppers and cucumbers. Make vinaigrette if not already done from last night. Whisk together honey, Dijon, vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When portobello pizzas are done, toss vinaigrette with peppers, cucumbers, mixed greens, and sliced almonds. Enjoy!
I added some leftover home made Italian sausage on one. Home made Portuguese (Hawaiian Style) sausage on another. Red sauce in lieu of pesto on the third and the original recipe on the forth. Referencing A comment below about the fried egg, maybe I could make this a breakfast item to. Add a slice of red onion??? IDK another project I guess... Either way they where all good.0 Helpful
These were good, but a little bland. I think they needed to be smothered in cheese to make them better.0 Helpful
I'm not a huge tomato fan so I put in some tomato sauce instead of the sliced tomatoes and it was delicious. I made 2 of them normal and 2 with the sauce my fiance love the normal one.0 Helpful
Since I had made my pesto five days earlier, I didn't have any extra and was too lazy to go to the store so I used tomato sauce. This was still really good!0 Helpful
Very tasty! I left the "gills" in the mushrooms (I always do). This menu felt a little too light. Next time I'll serve it with some quinoa on the side.0 Helpful
This was great especially with the creamy pesto. I may use artichoke next time instead of tomatoes. I used beefsteak tomatoes and they were a little watery.0 Helpful