Sesame Soy Skillet Chicken
with bok choy and quinoa
Quinoa (or Paleo Mashed Cauliflower):
- Quinoa - 2/3 cups , uncooked ((Sub 2 cups cooked))
Sesame Soy Skillet Chicken with Bok Choy:
- Chicken thighs - 1 1/2 lbs ((Sub chicken breasts if you prefer white meat))
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 2 tbs
- Bok choy or baby bok choy - 1 1/2 lbs , halved through stem
- Chicken stock - 1 cup
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 tsp
- Marinate chicken - Chop green onions. Combine white parts of green onions with first part of soy sauce and cooking oil in a container that can fit chicken. Coat chicken in marinade and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes if you can, overnight if possible. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Quinoa - Cook if not already made last night. Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bok choy - Halve.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan (use a pan that you have a lid for) over medium-high heat. There should be enough oil from the marinade so you don’t need to add more to the pan. Add chicken thighs to heated pan and sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place halved bok-choy cut-side down into skillet. Pour in chicken stock, second part of soy sauce, and toasted sesame oil. Nestle chicken into bok choy, cover and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F (74C) degrees and bok choy can be pierced by a knife.
- Enjoy over quinoa and top with green parts of green onions.