Potato and Leek Soup
with fennel and citrus salad
This creamy potato and leek soup is a classic. You can always make it less rich by leaving out the cream or more rich with more cream (or even some buttermilk). Paired with a fennel and citrus salad, it's the perfect light dish to cut through the richness of the soup.
Potato and Leek Soup:
- Garlic - 4 cloves , 3 minced, 1 peeled
- Leeks - 1 1/2 lbs , green parts removed, white parts chopped ((Weight includes the green parts, which will be removed))
- Russet potatoes - 2 lbs , cubed
- Baguette - 1/2 , 8 slices
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Bay leaves - 2
- Chicken stock - 3 to 4 cups
- Heavy cream - 1 cup ((Sub milk or leave out dairy altogether))
Fennel, Citrus, and Edamame Salad:
- Edamame - 1 1/3 cup
- Fennel bulb, small - 1 , sliced
- Oranges - 3 , segmented
- Apple cider vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 2 to 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 6 oz
- Walnuts - 1/2 cup , crushed
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Lightly brush baguette slices with olive oil. Spread out onto a sheet pan and toast for 5 to 6 minutes on top rack, until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in butter and then minced garlic and leeks to heated butter with a dash of salt. Saute until wilted and softened, ~5 minutes.
- Next add in potatoes, bay leaves, and enough chicken stock to cover potatoes by ~1 inch (2.5 cm). Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until you can easily pierce the potatoes.
- While soup is cooking, slice fennel and segment citrus. Whisk together apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return to soup. Remove from heat, fish out bay leaves, and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Stir in cream and season to taste with salt and paper.
- Trim off the end of remaining garlic clove. Rub the open end against the oiled side of each baguette slice.
- Warm up edamame in microwave for ~1 minute. Toss vinaigrette with greens, fennel, citrus, edamame, and walnuts. Enjoy soup with garlic toasts.