Caramel Chicken Brussels Sprouts Stir-Frywith brown rice
While it's not traditional to stir-fry brussels sprouts, this sweet and salty stir-fry sauce will definitely turn brussels sprouts doubters into lovers. This is a comforting dish that you'll make over and over again.
- Chicken, boneless breasts or thighs - 1 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, trimmed and halved through root
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 1/2 lb, sliced
- Fish sauce - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cornstarch - 1/2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lime or lemon - 1/2, juice of
- Cucumbers - 1 lb, chopped ((Look for Persian or English cucumbers which have fewer seeds))
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Brown rice - 1 cup, uncooked
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces and season and tenderize with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Brussels sprouts / Shiitake mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Chop. Toss with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. Cover and refrigerate until it’s time to eat. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Brown rice - If not made already from Tuesday (otherwise just heat up leftovers), fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Mix together minced garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and first part of corn starch.
- Place brussels sprouts in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Toss chicken with second part of corn starch.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat and add cooking oil. Add chicken to heated oil and stir-fry until golden on the outside, ~5 minutes. Use tongs to remove chicken from wok leaving oil in the pan (chicken does not have to be cooked all the way through at this point).
- Toss mushrooms into the wok and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. If the wok looks too dry, add a splash of water.
- Add brussels sprouts to wok and stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to wok, and push all ingredients to the sides forming a hole in the middle. Give stir-fry sauce a stir and pour it into the middle. Once it starts to bubble and darken, toss so that the sauce covers everything. Remove from heat and finish with lime or lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy over rice with cucumber salad.
This meal has 32 reviews
Sauce makes anything taste good.
We just didn't like it... Too sweet for our tastes and deboning the thighs took me forever as a novice butcher. Love the Brussels sprouts with shiitake though. Will trudge through the leftovers - oh well, you win some you lose some!
Another satisfying stir fry from Cook Smarts. I expected it to be sweeter given the title. Nothing special, although I did like the tip of microwaving the Brussels sprouts first so they cook through more quickly in the pan.
Yum. We loved this
This was quite good, the carmel in the title made me a little wary. I thought it was going to be sickly sweet but i rather enjoyed it
Only made the stir-fry, but enjoyed it. Simple to bring together, and fairly tasty. Definitely give the brussels sprouts more time in the microwave, and don't forget the lemon juice at the end -- it adds so much lovely acid brightness to the flavor.