Italian Sausage and Chard White Bean Soup
with parmesan garlic bread
This is a classic Cook Smarts soup that is hearty and packed with greens. It also comes together quickly with minimal prep. Serve it with an easy homemade garlic bread on the side. We last featured this soup in 2019.
- Parsley (opt) - 6 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch , leaves torn and stems chopped into 1/2" pieces
- Mushrooms, brown - 1/2 lb , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, uncooked - 1/2 lb
- Stock, chicken - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 1
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - for serving
- Parsley (opt) - 3 sprigs , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , crushed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Parmesan - 2 Tbsp , grated
- Baguette or ciabatta - 8 oz
Parsley (for bread and soup) / Garlic (for bread and soup) - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Prep garlic bread - Heat butter in microwave just until soft, 10 to 20 seconds. Mash butter with garlic, cheese, and parsley (portions for bread). Slice bread open lengthwise and spread on garlic butter.
Tomatoes - Drain tomatoes.
Beans - Drain and rinse.
Heat oven 375F / 191C degrees.
When oven is hot, place bread onto a sheet pan and bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then Italian sausage (removed from its casing) to heated oil. Saute until sausage is golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain any fat from the pot.
Add garlic (portion for soup), onions, chopped chard stems, and mushrooms to pot. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add in tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, and oregano. Cover and bring to a boil.
Stir in beans and chard leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes and then season to taste with some salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf.
Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with parsley (portion for soup) and some cheese if you'd like. Enjoy with garlic bread on the side.