Hoisin Noodles with Tofu
with carrots / snap peas
Hoisin sauce gives these noodles a mix of sweet and savory flavor all in an easy meal that comes together fast. A version of this meal featuring shrimp last appeared in 2022.
Smarts: We've swapped spaghetti in for the more traditional rice noodles because it tends to be more available and easier to work with. Feel free to use rice noodles if you prefer.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Hoisin sauce - 1/4 cup
- Peanut butter - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Snap peas / sugar snap peas - 6 oz , trimmed (sub snow peas)
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Pasta, spaghetti - 8 oz (sub rice noodles or soba)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Tofu - (If prepping right before cooking, get water heating for noodles first.) If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Make sauce - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, soy sauce, Hoisin, peanut butter, vinegar, sesame oil, Sriracha (if using), and water. Taste; if it’s too salty, add more water; if it's too sweet, add more soy sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Snap peas / Peanuts - Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cilantro - Prep as directed.
Limes - Slice into wedges.
Cook noodles according to package directions.
Add snap peas and carrots. Saute until carrots begin to soften, ~2 minutes more.
Add sauce and cook until it begins to simmer and thicken, ~2 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
Remove pan from heat and add noodles, tossing to coat. Top with peanuts, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with extra lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!