Maple-Dijon Panko Crusted Chicken
with lemony broccolini and brown rice
Our maple-Dijon panko (or almond meal) crust has been so popular over salmon that we decided to give it a try over chicken, and it's just as good (if not better!). Enjoy with a side of crunchy, lemony broccolini and a scoop of brown rice (or cauliflower rice). A note for vegetarians - ignore the brown rice recipe title. You all be enjoying this as a crunchy pasta!
Maple-Dijon Panko Chicken Breast:
- Chicken breasts - 2 , halved
- Parsley - 3 sprigs , chopped
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Lemon - 1/2 , wedges
- Broccolini - 2 bunches ((Sub 1 1/4 lb. broccoli))
- Water - 1/3 cup
- Olive oil - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
Brown rice (1 cup):
- Brown rice - 1 cup , uncooked
- Chicken breast - Halve.
- Crust - Chop parsley. Melt butter in the microwave (~1 minute should do). Mix butter with Dijon, maple syrup, soy sauce, panko, and parsley.
- Broccolini - Trim off ~½” (1.25 cm) from the bottom.
- Brown rice - Double if making tomorrow night’s dinner. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 375F (191C) degrees.
- Line sheet pan with foil and brush with some cooking oil. Add chicken and then divide and spoon crust onto chicken. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken reaches 165F (74C) degrees.
- While chicken is baking, heat a saute pan or skillet up over medium-high heat. Add in broccolini and then water. Cook until water has been absorbed and broccolini is tender but still has a crunch, 4 to 6 minutes. Finish with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- Enjoy chicken with lemon wedges and broccolini and brown rice on the side.