Taco Fried Rice with Turkey
with lettuce / tomatoes / avocados
Fried rice is the perfect end-of-the-week meal to keep in your back pocket. This version, with Tex-Mex spices and taco toppings, is a fun twist on an old favorite.
Smarts: If you have leftover coleslaw mix from Tuesday's meal, go ahead and use it here. Otherwise, feel free to leave it out or substitute another vegetable.
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped; green and white parts separate
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart , chopped
- Tomatoes, roma - 3 , chopped
- Avocados - 1 , sliced
- Mixed vegetables, frozen - 2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Coleslaw mix - 6 oz
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Tuesday) - 2 cups
- Cheese, shredded Mexican blend - 2 oz
- Salsa, store-bought - 1/2 cup , for serving
- Sour cream (opt) - 1/2 cup , for serving
- Tortilla chips - 4 oz , for serving
Heat a large skillet or wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and white parts of green onions to heated oil. Saute the turkey, breaking it apart as it cooks, until turkey is nearly cooked through and onions are tender and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add coleslaw mix with a pinch of salt and stir-fry until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add taco seasoning, soy sauce, and lime juice to the pan. Fold in mixed vegetables and rice. Continue to cook and stir until everything is thoroughly combined and heated through. Season with some salt and pepper, more soy sauce, or more lime juice if you'd like.
Stir in green parts of green onions.
Divide fried rice among serving plates. Set out lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, cheese, salsa, and sour cream (if using) and let everyone add their preferred toppings. Serve tortilla chips on the side or crumble them over the rice. Enjoy!