German Sausage Tacos
with sauerkraut / apple slaw / spinach and cucumber salad
Believe it or not, German-style sausage and sauerkraut are right at home inside warm tortillas. Topped with honey mustard and crisp apple slaw, they're savory, sweet, and surprisingly light.
Smarts: If you don't prefer the kick of jalapenos, feel free to leave them out, substitute diced bell peppers, or substitute celery for flavor and crunch without the heat.
- Shallots - 1 clove , chopped
- Jalapenos - 1 , chopped; seeds removed for less heat (sub bell peppers or celery)
- Sauerkraut - 2 cups , well drained
- Apples - 1 , chopped
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sausage, German-style bratwurst links - 1 lb (sub raw or smoked sausage links of choice)
- Tortillas, taco-sized flour - 8
- Mustard, Dijon or deli-style - 3 Tbsp (look for a large-grained variety)
- Honey - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek (opt) - 1 Tbsp (use for a slightly creamier dressing)
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , sliced
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Honey Mustard Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 1/4 cup
Make dressing - Whisk together mustard, honey, vinegar, and yogurt (if using). Slowly drizzle in cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette) and whisk until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Cucumbers - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Sauerkraut - Drain well. If you prefer it less sour, rinse briefly under cool water. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Apples - Chop apples into bite-sized pieces.
Make apple slaw - In a medium bowl combine shallots, jalapenos, and apples. Toss with vinaigrette (portion for tacos).
Heat a large skillet with cooking oil (portion for tacos) over medium heat.
Add sausage links to heated oil and cook, turning occasionally, until sausage is browned on all sides and cooked through to 160F / 71C, 10 to 15 minutes. (If using smoked sausage, cook just until browned and warmed through.) Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest briefly.
If you’d like the sauerkraut warm, heat it briefly in the microwave.
Combine cucumbers with baby spinach and toss with vinaigrette (portion for salad).
Slice sausage links into thin pieces that will comfortably fit into a tortilla.
Warm tortillas according to package directions.
To serve, fill warm tortillas with sausage and top with sauerkraut and apple slaw. Drizzle with extra honey mustard if you'd like. Serve spinach salad on the side. Enjoy!