Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
and simple green beans
Simple Microwaved Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , ends trimmed
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon - 1/2 , juice of
- Sliced almonds (opt) - for serving
Chicken with Pineapple Salsa:
- Red onions - 1/2 , diced
- Jalapeno (opt) - 1 , seeded and diced
- Roma tomatoes - 2 , diced
- Pineapple - 1/2 , diced
- Cilantro - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Lime - 1 , juice of
- Chicken thighs - 1 1/2 lbs
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Green beans / Red onions / Jalapeno / Tomatoes / Pineapple / Cilantro - Prep as directed. For cilantro, you’ll use the whole bunch later in the week, so you can prep all of it. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make salsa - Mix together red onions, jalapeno, tomatoes, pineapple, and cilantro. Squeeze in lime juice and toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Chicken - Season and tenderize with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear on both sides until golden, ~3 minutes on each side. Lower temperature and cover skillet with lid or foil. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until chicken has reached 165F (74C) degrees.
- While chicken is cooking, place green beans in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 1 ½ to 2 ½ minutes depending on thickness of green beans. Toss with butter and lemon juice fresh out of the microwave. Top with almonds. If you don’t have a microwave, boil green beans for 1 to 2 minutes and then transfer them to a bowl of cold water (this is called ‘blanching’).
- Enjoy chicken topped with salsa with beans on the side.