Pork and Pineapple Kebabswith quinoa and mixed green salad
Pork and pineapple is a classic combo (Hawaiian pizza anyone?) and tonight we're putting them on skewers for a fun kebab night. Our vegetarians will enjoy a colorful melange of veggie kebabs. Pair with a simple green salad for an easy way to kick off the week.
- Green onions - 3 stalks, chopped, green and white pieces separated
- Red wine vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Italian seasonings - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Green peppers - 2, chopped into squares
- Red peppers - 2, chopped into squares
- Mushrooms, brown or white buttons - 1/2 lb, halved
- Pineapple - 1/2 , cubed
- Skewers - 12 to 24
- Quinoa - 2/3 cup, uncooked ((Or sub 2 cups cook. Skip for low-cal))
- Kidney beans (14oz / 397g can) - 1/2 can ((~1 cup - sub other beans if desired))
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 1/2 lb
- Make marinade - Chop green onions. Mix with red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, Italian seasonings, brown sugar, and oil.
- Green peppers / Red peppers / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. Place veggies into a Ziploc bag or container and cover in marinade. Marinade for at least 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Pineapple - Prep as directed. If making tomorrow night’s dinner, you can prep the whole pineapple but chop tomorrow night’s portion into smaller pieces for a salsa. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep skewers - Thread skewers through veggies and pineapple. I use two skewers per / kebab (as shown in meal photo) for easier flipping during the cooking process. Place skewers on a sheet pan.
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with 2x the amount of water (or stock if you prefer) in a saucepan. Add in some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Preheat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Roast kebabs in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until pineapple is nice and golden.
- While kebabs are roasting, rinse and drain kidney beans and whisk together Dijon, balsamic vinegar, and cooking oil.
- When kebabs are done, toss vinaigrette with mixed greens. Enjoy with quinoa.
This meal has 35 reviews
it was great, only thing i would change is add more spices on the pork. it was on the bland side.
I prepped the pork the usual way for all of the other proteins: stabby-stabby and then salt and pepper. (I didn't marinate the pork at all.) After everything on skewers, I sprinkled a garlic and herb bbq spice mix that I had on hand. Came out really good!
Only made the kebabs... Marinated all day and still terribly bland.
Yummy, I marinated the pork first thing in the am. It was very flavorful and my kids also loved it. Like others I served it with brown rice and a yummy salad. Will be making it again.
this was yummy...I did substitute the quinoa with brown rice (only because I sent my son to store and he didn't know what it was...lol)
My pickiest eater (and the other kids) really loved this but I wasn't a huge fan.