Jerk Shrimp Tacos
with pepper and mango salsa / pineapple smoothie
Jamaican jerk seasoning and fresh pepper and mango salsa give these tacos a spicy-sweet flavor. A refreshing smoothie on the side helps to tame the heat.
Smarts: Jerk seasoning can be quite spicy, so be sure to taste yours and adjust the amount accordingly.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Jerk seasoning - 1 tsp (use more or less depending on your spice preference)
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1 , diced
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Mangos - 1 , peeled and diced
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Pineapple cubes, fresh or frozen - 16 oz
- Bananas - 1
- Orange juice - 1 cup (sub coconut milk or other fruit juice)
- Ice - 1/2 cup (omit if using frozen fruit)
Shrimp - Defrost shrimp.
Season shrimp - Toss shrimp with jerk seasoning, garlic powder, and some salt.
Make salsa - Whisk honey and lime juice in a medium bowl. Add bell peppers, jalapenos (if using), shallots, and mangos and stir to combine.
Make smoothie - In a blender combine pineapple, bananas, orange juice, and ice. Blend until smooth.
Heat a nonstick skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook on one side until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Turn shrimp and continue cooking until opaque and cooked through, 2-3 minutes more.
Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
Assemble tacos by filling tortillas with shrimp and mango salsa. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy with the smoothie on the side.