with tomatoes / carrots / bell peppers / chickpeas
June is pride month, so we are celebrating with this rainbow meal!
Smarts: To keep this meal super easy and no-cook, we're adding the chickpeas to the salad raw, but you could also toss them with some olive oil and spices of choice and saute them in a skillet until golden brown.
- Green onions - 2 Tbsp , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3/4 cup
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Bell peppers, yellow - 1 , chopped
- Cabbage, red - 8 oz , shredded
- Carrots, shredded - 8 oz , shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Green onions - 4 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Baby spinach - 8 oz
- Blueberries - 1 1/2 cups
Make dressing - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Combine green onions (portion for dressing), cilantro, yogurt, vinegar, oil, garlic powder, and salt and blend until smooth using a standing blender, food processor, or immersion blender. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Green onions (portion for salad) / Tomatoes - Prep as directed.
Chickpeas - Drain and rinse.
Check the dressing. If it is too thick to easily pour, whisk in some more vinegar a bit at a time. If the vinegar makes it too tart, you can whisk in some honey to balance it out.
Arrange the salads with a base of spinach and top them with the bell peppers, cabbage, carrots, green onions, tomatoes, chickpeas, and blueberries. You can mix everything together or arrange them in the shape of a rainbow. Add dressing at the table and enjoy!