with lentils / raisins / fried egg
Biryani is a classic Indian rice dish that is flavored with spices and vegetables. Our version includes raisins for a unique hint of sweetness and is topped with a fried egg. A variation of this meal was last featured in 2017.
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Cauliflower florets, frozen - 12 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Indian spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooked basmati rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Raisins, golden - 1/3 cup
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce - for serving
Make Indian spice mix - Combine curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, chili powder, and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Peas / Cauliflower - Defrost briefly in the microwave.
Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then onions and ginger. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add spice mix and saute for 1 minute more. Add rice, peas, cauliflower, lentils, and soy sauce and continue cooking until vegetables are heated through and all ingredients are combined.
Stir raisins into rice. Squeeze lime juice over top and set aside, covered to keep warm.
Heat second part of cooking oil in a nonstick pan. Crack eggs into oil and fry to desired doneness (cook on one side for sunny-side up, or flip and cook on both sides). Season eggs with some salt and pepper.
Divide rice between serving plates and top with fried eggs. Serve with cilantro on top, extra lime wedges on the side, and hot sauce, if you'd like. Enjoy!