with ground turkey / cauliflower / raisins
Biryani is a classic Indian rice dish that is flavored with spices and vegetables. Our version, which last appeared in 2017, includes raisins for a unique hint of sweetness and is topped with yogurt for a creamy finish.
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Peas, frozen or canned - 1 cup
- Cauliflower florets, frozen - 12 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (dark meat preferred)
- Indian spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooked basmati rice (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Raisins, golden - 1/3 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Hot sauce - for serving
Make Indian spice mix - Combine curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, chili powder, and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Onions / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
Peas / Cauliflower - Defrost briefly in the microwave.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then turkey to heated oil. Saute until turkey is nearly all cooked. Add half the spice mix and continue to saute until spices are fragrant and turkey is cooked through. Set turkey aside and return wok to heat.
Add second part of cooking oil and then onions and ginger. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining half of spice mix and saute for 1 minute more. Add rice, peas, cauliflower, and soy sauce and continue cooking until rice is heated through and all ingredients are combined.
Stir turkey and raisins into rice. Squeeze juice from a few lime wedges over the top.
Serve rice topped with cilantro, yogurt, and hot sauce, if you'd like. Enjoy with extra lime wedges on the side.