Pesto Pasta with Peas
and strawberry fennel salad
When spring and summer come around, we can't help but make big batches of pesto to spoon on top of everything. Of course, pasta is always our standby, and our paleo members will enjoy it with zucchini "noodles." Paired with a strawberry fennel arugula salad, we'll all be ready for the warm weather!
Pasta with Pesto and Peas:
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup ((Sub walnuts if you're on a budget))
- Basil - 4 cups , loosely packed ((You can also mix up the herbs and use parsley or cilantro))
- Garlic - 1 clove , peeled
- Parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Olive oil - 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Shells - 1/2 lb
- Peas - 2 cups
- Lemon - 1 , juice of
Strawberry Fennel Arugula Salad:
- Fennel bulb, small - 1 , sliced
- Strawberries - 1/2 pint , sliced
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Dijon mustard - 1 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Arugula - 6 oz ((Or sub your favorite salad green))
- Pine nuts (optional step) - Toast on a frying pan over medium-high heat until golden brown. It's also completely fine to skip this step.
- Make pesto - Pulse basil leaves, pine nuts (you can reserve a few for garnish if you want), garlic, and parmesan in a food processor. Drizzle in olive oil until you get a sauce-like consistency. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Fennel / Strawberries - Prep as directed.
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (118 ml) of the salted pasta water (for 4 servings - adjust accordingly if making more or less).
- Return saucepan to medium heat. Add in peas and cook until warmed, ~2 minutes. Add in pasta with reserved pasta water. Toss with desired amount of pesto and a squeeze of lemon juice. Garnish with more parmesan cheese and pine nuts if desired.
- Whisk together balsamic, mustard, maple syrup, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Toss with fennel, strawberries, and arugula. Enjoy salad with pasta.