Latin Beef Soup
with [leftover] ropa vieja / poblanos / mushrooms
- Broccoli florets - 8 oz , finely chopped
- Poblano peppers - 2 , diced (sub bell peppers)
- Onions, medium - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , diced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Ropa Vieja (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Salsa - 1/2 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Green onions - Chop, combining green and white parts. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Heat a Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Saute until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with some salt.
Stir in cumin, chili powder, and garlic. Saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes.
Pour stock over aromatics and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to flavor the stock.
Stir in broccoli and leftover ropa vieja and simmer until broccoli is tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Remove soup from heat and stir in salsa and lime juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. Add hot sauce to taste if you’d like.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with green onions and enjoy!