with tuna / tomatoes / green beans / olives / eggs
A summer favorite in Southern France, Nicoise salads are topped with seasonal produce and served with tuna, boiled eggs, and olives. This meal was last featured in 2021.
Smarts: Be sure to season the water before boiling the green beans. Salt in the water will give the beans plenty of flavor.
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp (sub red or white wine vinegar)
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Green beans - 8 oz , trimmed and chopped into 1" / 2.5 cm pieces
- Eggs - 4
- Mixed greens - 8 oz , chopped (sub baby spinach or baby kale)
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , chopped (sub cherry / grape tomatoes)
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Tuna, canned (5 oz / 142 g) - 2 cans , drained (look for Spanish or Italian varieties packed in olive oil)
- Olives, nicoise - 1/2 cup (sub pitted kalamata, use pre-sliced olives if you’d like)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/3 cup
Green beans / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Boil green beans - Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and boil until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain green beans and quickly transfer to a bowl of ice water (this ice bath will quickly stop the cooking process and help the green beans to retain their bright color). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Put a lid on the pan and let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Whisk together garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Lettuce / Tomatoes / Green onions - Prep as directed.
Tuna - Drain well.
In a large mixing bowl, gently combine lettuce, tomatoes, green beans, green onions, olives, sunflower seeds, and tuna. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell and then peel. You can chop the eggs and fold them into the salad or slice them down the center and serve them on top. (Season the tops of the eggs with some salt and pepper if you’re serving them on top.)
Divide salad between bowls and serve. Enjoy!