Berbere Farro and Lentil Saute
with tomato cucumber salsa / yogurt
Berbere spice has become a favorite in our community of cooks, so we wanted to feature it in a totally new way. This saute cooks fast once you have the farro ready and can easily be customized by adding more or less of the flavorful spice.
Smarts: Collard greens can be cooked for more or less time depending on whether you'd like them to be more chewy or tender. Taste the greens as they cook and adjust the cook time to fit your preference.
- Farro, semi-pearled / husked and uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2 , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Collard greens - 1 bunch , stems removed, leaves chopped (sub kale)
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Berbere spice - 1 to 3 tsp , depending on your spice preference
- Lentils - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , diced
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
Cook farro - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Give it a generous sprinkle of salt and add farro. If you bought semi-pearled or husked farro, it should take about 25 minutes to cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Lemons - Slice into wedges.
Heat a large saute pan with first portion of cooking oil over medium heat. Add collard greens with some salt. Saute until greens are tender, 7 to 14 minutes. Add a splash of water if the pan gets dry. Set the greens aside and return the pan to heat.
To the heated pan add the second portion of cooking oil and then onions, garlic, and salt. Saute, until the onions are nearly tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in the Berbere spice (if you're unsure how much to use, start on the lower end and add more after you taste the dish), cooked greens, farro, lentils, and stock. Bring to a simmer and simmer everything together until heated through.
Taste the farro and season with some more salt and pepper, if needed.
Serve the farro saute with yogurt and salsa on top and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!