Chinese Chicken Salad
with Napa cabbage / carrots / peanuts / crispy wontons
With sweet and savory flavors, crunchy wontons, and sweet orange segments, this salad is irresistible and quick to assemble.
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Miso - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , halved to thin
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Carrots - 6 oz , shredded (sub pre-shredded carrots to save time)
- Cabbage, Napa - 6 oz , thinly sliced
- Oranges - 2 , segments (sub mandarin oranges)
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup
- Baby spinach - 8 oz
- Wonton strips, store-bought - 1 cup (look for these near other salad toppers like croutons; sub crushed tortilla chips)
- Peanuts, roasted - 1/3 cup
- Sesame seeds, white or black (opt) - 1 Tbsp
Marinate chicken - Slice chicken in half and thin with a tenderizer. Combine with first portion of cooking oil (for salad) and soy sauce (portion for salad). Turn to coat and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Carrots (if not pre-shredded) / Napa cabbage - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make dressing - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce (portion for dressing), miso, honey, toasted sesame oil, and cooking oil (portion for dressing). Whisk until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
Heat a large skillet with second portion of oil (for salad) over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade) and season on both sides with some salt and pepper.
Sear the chicken on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let it cool slightly.
To assemble the salads toss the carrots, cabbage, and spinach with about half of the dressing. Spread it out on individual plates or a large serving bowl. Top with oranges, cilantro leaves, wonton strips, and peanuts. Slice the chicken and serve it on top. Sprinkle sesame seeds over top. Serve with the remaining dressing. Enjoy!