Shortcut Fish Sandwich
with tartar sauce / kale chips
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Capers - 2 Tbsp , drained, rinsed, and chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Kale, curly leaf - 1 bunch , leaves torn off of stems
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Butter lettuce - 4 leaves (sub any type of lettuce / greens)
- Fish patties, gluten-free and frozen - 4 (sub gluten-free frozen fish sticks)
- Hamburger buns, gluten-free - 4
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Kale - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first) Peel off leaves and discard stems. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Make tartar sauce - Mix together mayo, chopped capers, and lemon juice (portion for tartar sauce). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Lettuce - Tear into pieces that will fit inside the burger buns. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Heat oven to 300F / 149C degrees.
Spread kale leaves onto a sheet pan. Use two pans if they’re too packed on one. Toss with olive oil and then bake for 8 to 12 minutes until leaves are crispy. If they start to brown too much at the edges, they’re definitely done! Sprinkle with some salt right out of the oven.
When the kale chips are done baking, increase the oven’s temperature to the recommended heat for the fish patties. Cook the fish according to package directions.
When the fish is nearly done cooking, toast the hamburger buns.
Assemble the sandwiches by spreading buns with tartar sauce and adding the lettuce and fish. Squeeze the lemon juice (portion for fish) over top of the fish patties. Enjoy with kale chips!