Cobb Salad with Walnuts
with ranch dressing
With plenty of color and texture, this Cobb Salad features all the classic toppings plus crunchy walnuts and a homemade herby ranch dressing. We last featured a similar salad in 2021.
Smarts: This is a great salad to serve bar-style. Set everything out and let everyone assemble and dress their own salads.
- Eggs - 4
- Carrots - 5 oz , shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz , chopped (sub green leaf or iceberg)
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Cheese, blue or gorgonzola - 4 oz , crumbled (sub shredded cheddar or any other preferred cheese)
- Fresh herbs - 2 Tbsp , finely chopped (any combination of parsley, chives, and dill; sub dried)
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
Boil eggs - Cover eggs with cold water and some salt. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 11 minutes and then run in cold water for easier peeling. Roll eggs against a hard, flat surface to break up shell and then peel. If making ahead of time, peel right before serving. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Carrots - Shred carrots (if not pre-shredded). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Walnuts - If you’d like the walnuts toasted, put them in a skillet over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make ranch dressing - Finely chop herbs (if using fresh). Combine herbs, mayonnaise, vinegar, sour cream, and garlic powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Peel and chop eggs.
Give dressing a stir and season with some salt and pepper. Add a splash of water or milk if the dressing is too thick.
Form a bed of lettuce and layer all other ingredients on top - walnuts, eggs, avocado, cheese, carrots, and tomatoes. Drizzle dressing over top. Enjoy!