Mushroom and Lentil Stroganoff
with egg noodles / roasted balsamic broccolini
We've done several versions of this comfort food that is served over noodles. This one aims to simplify your prep by using lentils (look for pre-cooked) and sliced mushrooms. For another version check out this one with Swiss chard and mushrooms. This version was last featured in 2020.
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , halved or quartered if large
- Thyme leaves, fresh - 1 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Lentils, cooked - 2 cups (use pre-cooked lentils or if cooking from dried, use half the amount of dried and prepare according to package directions)
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup
- Egg noodles - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Broccolini - 1 lb , trimmed (sub broccoli florets)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
Noodles - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prepare according to package directions. If making ahead, toss with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Broccolini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make seasoning - Combine flour, paprika, ground coriander, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Mushrooms / Thyme leaves - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
Toss broccolini with cooking oil, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan and roast until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
While broccolini roasts, heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and then mushrooms to melted butter. Saute mushrooms until golden brown and very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with some salt.
To mushrooms add garlic and thyme leaves and stir until fragrant, ~1 minute. Sprinkle seasoning mixture over mushrooms and stir until no dry spots remain.
Pour white wine into pan, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
Add stock and lentils to the pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thickened but still saucy, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
If noodles were cooked ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Add some more oil if they are sticking together.)
Toss broccolini with lemon juice.
Serve stroganoff over noodles with broccolini on the side. Enjoy!